Monday, October 26, 2009

is their hope?

*groan. One of my new favourite writers is a recent graduate from my University; I had followed Ashley Burtch's blog this summer and make sure her writings get sent to my inbox. I am always so infused by her passion... but this time I went to a site that she wrote about: www.humantrafficking.change.org. I've just spent the last hour reading about trafficking around the world through real stories, criticisms and essays. Ashley... to avoid spewing all over my Thai bedroom, I think I will keep to your writing until my stomach gets a bit stronger...

Andrew Murray writes,
"Child of God! ... place yourself before His face and look up into it. Think of his wonderful, tender, concerned love. Tell him how sinful, cold, and dark everything is. The Father's heart will give light and warmth to yours".

I saw some friends at the market yesterday who are building a rehabilitation centre for trafficking victims just outside of Chiang Mai. They said they were driving to Mae Sot today (Monday) to pick of their first child: a little 8 yr-old Burmese girl, old enough already to have been sold, trafficked, enslaved, and rescued. So... what were you doing when you were eight? I was told Mae Sot also sees a bus of Burmese children pass through it's border each night on the way to 'factory jobs' and the like.

I was chatting with *Rorey again on Friday as we were planning our lessons for the orphanage. I think I might learn more from him in a few minutes than I do in a day learning TEFL. He was asking me what the biggest/only cause of human trafficking is. I felt like it was a trick question... so I tried to answer wisely because I want him to think I am smart... but, as I clearly proved I am more heart than smart (my friend and I were at the market yesterday and I bargained for two of one item to get a better price... thinking I did until I realized afterwards it was only twice of the first price.. oh nicola. this is what happens when you go to Bible College maybe...), he explained that the only real factor is economics. If a family has a choice to send a child away and recieve a higher wage, than that will be the reality. Even if they are told it is a 'factory job', chances are they are not so naive, and decided instead to turn a blind eye in favour of receiving more money. So- I wanted his opinion and what he saw as a 'solution'. Rorey said that modern Buddhism is too open for interpretation, and the pressure of making merit by donations too strong. He said that it is a rare person who would choose a lower paying job simply by morals or love for their child. I didn't expect his next thought and was caught of guard; I thought he might have numbers, a strategic plan of attack if only it would be adopted by NGO's, or something of the sort.
No, instead he talked about Jesus... he said that His love is the only thing powerful enough to convince people that there are more important things than making money- for the parents, the women, and the pimps. He said that following Jesus doesn't leave any room for abandoning your child, treating women as safety valves for the male sex drive, or enslaving and exploiting for profit.

Doesn't it seem too simple? What do you think? I just thought I'd put it up for discussion ;).

*sigh. "Tell him how sinful, cold, and dark everything is."

On a lighter note-- My friends Rachel Rauwarda and Amy Attas are visiting me right now on their way through SE Asia! It's so lovely to have them here... I don't want to say goodbye tomorrow night!

Blessings, and apologies for the somber thoughts... do we dare to hope for redemption?

Nicola

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola, you are quickly becoming one of my new favourite writers too! It sounds cheesy to say it but my heart hears yours in this post. I think I want strategies, programs, lobbying and funding to be the solution, the hope for trafficked women and children. But the more I am learning, the more I am beginning to recognize the truth of what your friend told you.

    Also, in response to the statement that economics is the biggest/only cause of human trafficking, I would like to reiterate what my new friends Jay and Michelle (from hopeforthesold.org) told me on Sunday night, that the only cause of human trafficking is demand. Yes, there are families who are choosing to sell their children, but there are also a lot of traffickers who are very willing to snatch women and kids (and men too) off the street if the supply of 'children for sale' runs low. As long as their is a customer base, as long as traffickers can make money by providing prostitutes, traffickers will find people to fill that need. For this reason, our focus must be at least as intense on cutting off the demand, that is teaching men and young boys (aka potential future customers) that it is NOT okay to view women as sexual objects, or to participate in any form of 'sex tourism', regardless of how legit one might assume it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment! Yeah... totally. I found it so interesting that he- with all of his crazy experience- would still talk about Jesus being the answer; though history (and everyone person who I've talked to that has been hurt by 'the Church'... which is pretty much everyone I've ever talked to) teaches that absolutes (ex. 'the solution' is to bring the gospel) usually prove themselves wrong by contradicting their stance, and as soon as humanity touches anything it becomes a bit flawed. Everyone has a bit of evil along with their good :). The reason I was actually put off by his response was that it didn't feel like there was a lot of hope in that: been there. done that. millions of people were killed under the banner of the cross. bah. But, as I say to everyone who tells me bitterly what 'the church'/'christians' did to THEM, it's a really good thing that Jesus doesn't change depending on what we do under His banner. I think there is a lot of good behind a pretty flawed system, though... that's why I stick with Him, anyway :).

    Anyway. man; I'm having a great time learning :). Tonight I'm teaching at 'Freedom House'- a cafe down town that teached migrant workers for free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome nico, awesome. I was not expecting that answer from your friend either. I've been taking two IS courses this semester (amazing, you have to come to a Lois Mitchell class, I'll tell you about it later) and of course with my experiences in SEA... I feel like the only conduit of change that has seemed like an option is NGO's or government involvement or volunteers etc. It is encouraging to hear that in a non-cliche way lives can be changed in a different way. Maybe I'm a little jaded from hearing it all the time in church, and as you and Ash said, whats been done under the banner, but to hear it explained as a reality, seeing how it can work practically in the lives of families to be bring life and hope, means encouragement to me.

    I found your blog through Ashley's blog too... glad we can connect ;)

    ReplyDelete