Friday, January 8, 2010

Today.

Today I saw grown men, maybe fifty years old, playing hackey-sack with a woven wicker ball better than any boys I've ever seen. They were giggling and laughing and teasing each other; men coming from all directions to play a hilltribe sport they all learned when they were young. I watched in fascination.

Today was Children's day: 'wan dek', in Thai. All the kids brought a present to school to exchange. Last night I bought a little red fish and fish food to wrap up for a present. I waited all day and was so excited that one of my students- a careful, patient little girl, picked my number and I could explain to her that she needed to feed it 6 pellets twice a day, and that I have one just like it and like it a lot. She cradled the little package in her arms, unwrapped except for a little window in the top, like she was carrying her most precious possession. :)

Today I taught my monks. Oh my, they make me laugh so much. I collected their journals tonight and have to share a couple exherbts...

from Moei's, about his family:
My family have five people. My father, my mother, my brother, my sister, and I. My father and my mother they are farmer. My brother and my sister they are painter. And I, I am a monk. But my family happy so much. I love my family so much.

From La's, after the only evening of my class he has ever missed:
Today I am waking up morning and breakfast with my friends. I went shopped with my friends and I went not to the school I am sorry teacher. I had a good day. How old are you?
(oh, when I read this I teared up; wow, La cracks me up so much!)

Today as I waited for them to finish an excercise... I just... oh. I can't imagine leaving them. I adore them. I've been realizing more and more that I am falling head over heals for my students. I care about them, about where they're going to go in the next couple years, about their thought processes, about their lives. La told me he wanted to be a police officer tonight. Thailand needs good police officers, but its very difficult to be a good one in Thailand... it seems the occupation is based on bribery and manipulation here. Today I went to my little group of food stalls again and Naun wasn't there... I asked and they said she left. *sigh. I asked the fruit lady (who gave me fresh fruit for a New Year's present! lovely) if she missed her, and she said that no, she left. Hmm. well I miss her. I get far too attached to people. I just... wish she said goodbye. I guess I'm getting to know how it must feel for people whom are visited by short-term aid workers like me. They get attached and then we leave, and it hurts. And then next time they have learned and they won't get so attached... That mustn't be very healthy.

I love people watching, the simplicity and utter dependence of pet fish, and my Monks :).

1 comment:

  1. you seem to give you all wherever you go - it is a precious gift nicola!

    ReplyDelete