Sunday, December 20, 2009

My grade two's, BKK, Church, and my monks.

Last week I spent a good half of my grade 2 class just chatting with them before we started the lesson. The discussion started because I took greater attention that morning in taking attendance than usual, asking why students weren't there when I received a choral, 'my maa' (literally: not come) and 10 kids twisting their wrists around in the air like the queen's wave when I announced a student who wasn't present.

'Seeree'. 'mai maa!'. 'my maa tam mai (why didn't he come?)'. 'Seeree *khhk! (kids imitate somebody dying). 'WhAATTT!!!???' My kids went on to explain that Seeree had been hit by a motorcy and he died. But that it didn't matter because he snorted opium and he drank a lot, 'mai dee (not good)!'. 'WhhAATT!???' *sigh. I didn't remember Seeree because he hadn't come in the last couple weeks, but I would talk to someone about it later.

'Nisa!' 'Nisa mai maa'. 'mai maa tam mai'. 'Nisa bai Gruntep (Nisa went to Bangkok)'. '.... Nisa bai Gruntep tam mai'. 'tamgnan (to work)'. 'WhhaAAATT!??' So. One of my grade two's had gone to Bangkok to work in order to earn money for her parents (she hadn't been to school in the last two months). I looked at Santheep, Fon Down, and the others and begged them, 'please... don't go to Bangkok'. We talked about how dangerous it was and how there are many good Farang but their are many bad Farang too, and Thailand just seem to attract bad Farang because it is so cheap and there are many beautiful women. We talked about different things they could do to earn money here, to which they just answered... Phi Nicci. Where would be work? There is nothing in Mae Sai for us. They told me they wouldn't go to Bangkok until they finished Prateom 6 (grade 6), and then they would go to Bangkok because they had to send back money for their parents. mm.. WhhhAATT??!

I talked to Khun Somboon (the Thai teacher) about it afterwards (whose name means 'Mr. Perfect' in Thai-- my monks taught me that. What a great name! haha), and first he said that my grade two's had talked to him about what they told me about Seeree, and that he had lectured them not to lie to their teachers! WhhhhAATTT!!?? Ach, the punks. Why would you lie about somebody dying?? Khun Somboon explained that death isn't super tabboo here, and that he doesn't come to school here any more because he does actually snort opium (I think that's what you do with Opium? oh dear, I am so clueless) and is drunk all the time. *sigh. We talked about my kids going to Bangkok in four years and he said that they do everything they can to stop them, but since they are undocumented (hill tribe ethnicities are not legally Thai citizens, which means they have no benefits such as education, healthcare, they can't leave Thailand/sometimes even just their province), there is huge prejudice against them and they cannot work anywhere but at night in the karaoke and night bars here. So most just go to Bangkok, and they educate them on safe migration and their rights, etc. hmph. International Development is really complicated. Maybe this is why most IDS University programs don't have you actually go and help at an NGO... because then you would get dissappointed and disillusioned and lose hope and then want to change your major. I don't want to change my major... I'm just sayin'...

I went to English Church in Chiang Rai yesterday! hurray! I had met a lovely family who drove me there and back and then I spent a while at their house when we got back, talking to their 12-yr old daughter (who likes soccer and mountain biking!) and trying to get star fruit off their trees with their 6-yr old son. They are from Texas I think. I haven't seen white kids in so long, haha... they look so weird now. I met so many people at Church that talked my ear off and I just got to listen. :). I also heard about a drop in centre run by a man at the Church right at the border near I live called, 'Open doors'. I'de like to go and visit and see what they do.

This morning I woke up and wanted to book a flight home for two days from now. I miss Christmas and I miss my friends and my family. But then... I stopped at a food stall I've never been to before, and enjoyed a slow lunch while marking my monk's weekly journals I have them write... and I decided... that I would stay even just to read their weekly journals. oh man... my monks are the coolest, hehe. I'll try to find a good excerpt for you... true to the originals...

Moei:
'Today I walked went to the librariel. I was found and read a storied book this I was like. and I went to the market but was not bought things. beceas I was forgot brought the money...'

Dang:
'every morning. I cleaned my bedroom and tempels. miday I make the homeworked... I have 3 elder brother don't a younger sister because I am pauper no. 4 in my family. we live in a small house. I wake up at 5 o'clock. I walk to school every other day. ('Pauper'... I love the words they come up with then they look it up in a dictionary... hehehe)

Yep. love it!
Blessings all!

ps. I love you Naomi. Thanks for your comments :)

1 comment:

  1. wow. what a complicated world. i am so proud of you for sticking with it. your poor monks will be devastated when you leave! i am so glad you got to go to english church!! and oooh i love the journal excerpts so much!! too cute!! you must love reading them :)

    ps. I LOVE YOU TOOOOO SOOOOO MUCH!!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete