Wednesday, December 9, 2009

nom sot (fresh milk)

Mmm... tonight was lovely. The last two days I have hardly eaten anything as I've been feeling pretty sick, but was finally able to eat a meal tonight. I spent the evening chatting with Sarah at our favourite food stall (Newee makes phenom fried rice as well as Phatsee-ew (fried big noodles)), and then bought some milk and drank it slowly with the people at the jok and the milk. Oh... I'm starting to get really attached to that little community of stalls... I went to order with my friend Soe (fresh milk-nom sot / soy milk-nom tahoot), and he was like, 'you haven't come for a week, where did you go?' Being over-emotional me, I almost started crying, haha. Doesn't it feel wonderful to be remembered and thought about? I'm glad I'm human. So we sat and tried to communicate... Payho, the elderly lady who I just met tonight, showed me photos of her family, and I learned that Soe, Naun, and an other vender are all from Myanmar and actually only know a little Thai (/way more than I know). Oh, I wish I could communicate. It's so frustrating when you want to hear all about someone's life and you just can't. Mae Sai is like that... for most of the people Thai is their second language. But, I had a lovely evening :). I had this crazy idea of offering free english classes to them after they've closed their stalls at around 11pm... maybe I'll wait till I get to know them better. I just really like them all a lot though, I'de like to be familiar and remembered by that group... they all seem like a close family.

2 comments:

  1. mmm, nom sot. I'm glad your feeling part of that place nicola :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww thats so sweet that he missed seeing you!! what a lovely idea to offer an english class! xoxo

    ReplyDelete