Tuesday, February 16, 2010

God bless you today :)



The smog is coming! The smog is coming! It seems as if the grey horizons are going to swallow the gorgeous blue winter sky whole in maybe a week or so? *sigh. I'm a sky person I think... often my attitude is dictated by whether there's a blue sky or not. Maybe that's why I'm so happy here? Constant crystal clear blue skies...

My time is almost coming to an end here. I'm leaving for KL to visit my friend Clarice on March 25th before going to England to visit the grandparents, and then home. I'm writing in the morning before school... with a hot cup of tea in a lime green mug, and a bowl of muesli drenched in milk topped with honey and bananas... in a lime green bowl ;). My laundry lady just popped by to collect laundry money. I had been to visit her on Monday night to give her some flowers for a late Valentines gift... the ladies who work at my favourite food stall had bestowed me with bunches of flowers (oh, the generosity. Even after sharing with the laundry lady a big bunch of carnations and pink roses sit on the head of my bed)-- this morning she came bearing little pastries for my lunch. She knows I will be leaving next month and today asked how many months I will be gone for... 'gansiksaw kong Nicola yang my set' -' my education isn't finished yet' - I will be gone for at least 20 months. Her broken little old lady glasses fogged up and she started to cry... she said she had been thinking and thinking about it for the past couple days and it had given her a 'buat hua'- a headache.

In the last couple weeks I feel like I've aged a year. A student in my evening class decided she wanted to follow Jesus instead of Buddha and became a Christian. My friend Orang was forced to have a shotgun wedding - happening this coming Saturday - as he had been found kissing his girlfriend in her house. Anger to dissappointment to unwavering love and support. I also got baptized at a dump in Myanmar last Saturday. I wrote a massive e-mail about it but its too big to put up on here... please let me know if you'de like me to send it to you... it's a pretty cool story.

Yet... even though my life seems so busy and dramatic and - I would say lovely - still.. the most favourite parts of my day are... hm. the sun rays that comes through the slats in the bathroom in the morning. The little ledge on the roof I can sit on at the centre after evening classes to watch the stars. Chatting to a teacher at the Burmese school. Washing my feet in the evenings. Listening to crickets as I fall asleep. Fallen flowers on a path.

God bless you today :)

1 comment:

  1. So cool Nicola - hearing about your life in Thailand. And wow, it's great that one of your fine students now wants to become a Christian. Praise God.

    And hey... sign me up for getting the huge email about your baptism in Myanmar.

    ReplyDelete