Wednesday, March 10, 2010

But I want to.

pre-script: when did I get so controversial and opinionated? oh dear me.

I just watched Avatar. The media guy, Phi Kon, gave it to us today because it didn't have Thai on it. Blatantly illegal copies... good times :S. The last time I went to Chiang Mai I met an Akha natural healer on the bus on the way there. He works at the Akha Association in Chiang Rai. He told me to watch it, as it is supposedly packed with symbolism, about colonialism, about human rights. He was a great man... the only guy in six villages to graduate from University. He had a quiet peace about him... very calming. He is working on health education media projects within remote Akha villages.


I'm not sure if it directly correlates... but I want to write about last night. Last night we (the vols) were invited to our friend's NGO, called 'Ban Doyy' (spelled weird here for google sake). Ban Doyy is a healing centre for kids affected by HIV AIDS, and was started by two European women, Phi Kate and Babsi. My friend Gaywaa and went to the lake for the afternoon, so he came along for the campfire at Ban Doy as well. I was ... accustomed. sort of. with the Thai perception of 'Burmese', but I'm still shocked every time. Once when Gaywaa dropped me off from dinner with Mum Cherry I invited him to meet my land ladies. He asked if they were Thai - 'yeah' - okay, I think its better if I leave... whhattt?? I am thankful for my Canadian education (and also the culture/education of my family probably too) that I firmly believe that we are all equals. Firmly. I know the hurt and the stereotypes run deep, but arrogant people with narrow minds who choose not to listen to common sense - I feel sorry for them. From Phi A, my land lady, who has warned me repeatedly not to be friends with people from Myanmar, 'Phi Nicci, they are not kon Thai (Thai people), you cannot trust them', to Phi Kon, Phi Kate's Thai boyfriend who also lives at Ban Doyy who refused to recognize a word that came from Gaywaa's mouth, harshly and sarcastically repeating that he doesn't understand him, to the eldest girl staying at Baan Doi who also refused to let the other kids talk to Gaywaa. Oh, dang. I had no idea. I know I need to recognize the conflict and spite between the two countries... but I just really thinks it's so stupid. Especially when people heap a whole country's stereotype on one person. Gaywaa's not even Burmese, he's Karen - he was forced to learn Burmese in school, as they had banned teaching the minority dialects. Anyway. I don't know how much that has to do with Avatar. But... it feels like it does a bit. The other day Phi A (land lady) struck up the courage to ask me where my 'Burmese' friends were, and even that I could invite them to be with us. I know that took a lot of pride-swallowing and open-mindedness on her part, and I am grateful for the effort. I'm glad I don't have to jump over hurdles to believe in an other's dignity and equality. But just as I was educated in that way, they were educated differently, so one cannot blame them- something so contrary to common sense could only be institutionalized and force fed. Hm. Though... I may get slightly offended when someone assumes I am from America. I think I do it more for fun though... and now I shall stop. I'm sorry for being narrow minded for the sake of my humour and my pride. Encouraging stereotypes and disrespect - just. really. doesn't. help. anyone. Prejudices aren't a fact because you learned them, they are the material of ignorance; the failure to self-reflect and find creative solutions.

I am speaking out of line... I don't understand. But I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment